The Goleta Police Department wants to take this opportunity to remind our community members of these safety tips to help prevent residential theft especially during this holiday season.
- Keep all doors and windows closed and securely fastened. Doors should have deadbolt locks and all windows should also have locks.
- Secure sliding glass doors by placing a metal rod or a wooden dowel rod in the track and install vertical bolts. This will help prevent burglars from forcing the door open or lifting it off the track.
- Always lock the door to an attached garage. Do not rely on your automatic garage door opener for security.
- Create the illusion that you are home by using timers on lights to make your residence appear occupied, even when no one is home.
- Keep the perimeter of your home well lit. Installing outdoor lighting is a good way to discourage intruders.
- Never leave clues that you are away on a trip. Have a trusted neighbor collect mail and deliveries while you are away. Be mindful of your social media and save the vacation photos until you are safely home.
- Lastly, report all suspicious activity to law enforcement when it is occurring or as soon as possible.