The Goleta Police Department is reminding residents that there are criminals out there looking for crimes of opportunity. To avoid becoming a victim, please be vigilant about locking your doors to both your residence and vehicles.
Goleta Chief of Police, Sheriff’s Lt. Rich Brittingham said, “Typically, thieves are looking for crimes of opportunity and unlocked vehicles or residences are easy targets. Just the simple act of locking your car and home is enough of a deterrent to cause some thieves to move on and to prevent the crime from occurring.”
The Goleta Police Department wants to take this opportunity to remind residents to:
- Always lock your car and residence.
- Close your windows.
- Never leave valuables in plain sight. Lock all valuables in your vehicle’s trunk or take them with you.
- Remove personal information such as a driver’s license from unattended vehicles.
- Always take your keys with you after you park your vehicle.
- Do not use spare keys hidden on or in your vehicle. Consider a spare key in your wallet instead.
- Park and lock your vehicle in your garage whenever possible.
- Remove or hide your garage remote when you leave your vehicle unattended.
- If you have a car or residential alarm, set it.
To report suspicious subjects or vehicles, call 911. If you have any information regarding thefts from autos or residences, please contact the Sheriff’s Office at 805-683-2724 or to leave an anonymous tip call 805-681-4171.
The City of Goleta contracts with the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office for police services.