With the recent storms, Insurance Commissioner Ricardo Lara is reminding Californians to review their current insurance policies in order to protect themselves and their assets.
Commissioner Lara urges consumers to take the following steps to prepare for the winter storm season:
- Consider flood insurance in addition to their homeowners’ insurance policy. The Federal Flood Insurance Program currently provides the majority of flood coverage written in the state, but private flood insurance is also available.
- Use their smart phone to perform a home inventory to create a record of their belongings and store scans of important documents that they can easily access.
- Locate their insurance papers and put in a safe place or upload to an online location.
- For renters, consider purchasing renters’ insurance to protect their personal belongings, which typically are not covered by their landlord’s homeowners policy.
- Consider comprehensive auto insurance, which would protect their vehicle in the event of flood damage.
- Visit the Governor’s Office of Emergency Services (CalOES) “winter wise” web page to read more tips to prepare for winter weather.