The growing popularity of electric vehicles (EVs) has resulted in new tools, new research, and incentives to help you make the switch to an EV. The last quarter of 2022 saw record-breaking market growth for EVs, and in California EV sales were up 52% over the previous year’s Q4 sales. According to the non-profit Veloz, consumers are adopting EVs more often as additional makes and models are released and charging infrastructure and incentive programs are expanding. EVs provide a lower total cost of ownership and have environmental benefits such as reduced greenhouse gas emissions. Unfortunately, the high initial purchase cost can create a barrier for many looking to switch to EVs.
With affordability in mind, there are a number of incentives available to help lower the purchase price of an EV. Buyers can also personalize incentives based on where they live. Some of these incentives include:
- Federal Alternative Fuel Infrastructure tax credit – up to $1,000 for the purchase of qualifying residential fueling equipment.
- Federal tax credit – up to $7,500 for the purchase or lease of a new, qualifying plug-in EV.
- Federal Used Clean Vehicle Credit – up to $4,000 if you buy a qualified used EV or fuel cell vehicle.
- California Clean Vehicle Rebate – $1,000-$7,500 for the purchase or lease of qualifying vehicles.
To learn more about these opportunities, and other incentives offered by Southern California Edison (SCE) visit SCE’s Website.
SCE isn’t the only organization ramping up EV incentives and resources. Community Environmental Council (CEC) recently launched Electric Vehicles (EVs) for Everyone/EVs Para Todos, a free service offered in Spanish and English that helps low-to-moderate income households switch to driving electric.
EVs For Everyone enables individuals to select an EV that aligns with their needs and to take advantage of the many benefits that come with driving electric.
This program provides bilingual guidance and resources to support informed decisions about purchasing an EV. CEC offers personalized advice to help you find the right vehicle for your needs and budget and can connect you with financing options and incentives to help make your purchase more affordable.
To learn more and to sign up for the program, visit the EVs For Everyone website at https://evsforeveryone.org/.
See the list below for even more cost saving tools to help make an EV the right choice for you:
- Community Choice Energy’s Electrify Your Ride program
- Choose EV EV Savings Calculator
- California Vehicle Savings Calculator
- Department of Energy Vehicle Cost Calculator
- Electric Car Savings Calculator
- Charge VC Electric Vehicle Savings Calculator
- California Air Resources Board Cost and mileage calculators