As we approach the Fourth of July, we want to remind our community members that fireworks are illegal to possess and use in the City of Goleta and throughout Santa Barbara County. (The exception is in the cities of Lompoc, Santa Maria, and Guadalupe, which allow only designated “Safe and Sane” fireworks to be purchased and used within the city limits.)
Considering our current drought conditions, the use of fireworks poses an extreme fire danger in our community. Deputies will be actively enforcing laws pertaining to the possession or use of illegal fireworks. Depending on the type and amount of fireworks, violators could be subject to citation or arrest.
Residents can report firework violations in Sheriff’s jurisdictions by calling the non-emergency dispatch center at 805-683-2724, or 9-1-1 in an emergency situation.
Besides the fire danger they pose, illegal fireworks and fireworks in general also are frightening to many pets. Santa Barbara County Animal Services (SBCAS) reminds pet owners of the following:
- Make sure your dog is wearing a current license tag and update its microchip information.
- Keep pets inside.
- Leave the TV or radio on to distract pets.
- Walk your dog before the fireworks start.
- Do not bring your pet to a fireworks display.
- If your dog or cat is especially noise sensitive, consider having someone stay home with them, taking them to a boarding facility, or discuss sedatives with your veterinarian.
We wish you a safe and wonderful Independence Day spent with family and friends. Thank you for doing your part to keep Goleta safe this Fourth of July.