The California Mortgage Relief Program (Program) is open to all eligible Californians who are currently experiencing pandemic-related hardships and have fallen behind on their housing payments. The Program, part of the state’s Housing is Key initiative, uses federal Homeowner Assistance Funds to help homeowners get caught up on their housing payments. The Program is free and the funds do not need to be repaid. Learn more at: https://camortgagerelief.org/.
Applicants must meet ALL of the following criteria:
- Household income at or below 100% of their county’s Area Median Income;
- Missed at least two mortgage payments prior to December 27, 2021;
- Past due amount must be $80,000 or less at the time of application submission;
- Own a single-family home, condo or permanently affixed manufactured home; and
- Faced a pandemic-related financial hardship after January 21, 2020.
You can find more information regarding eligibility at camortgagerelief.org/who-is-eligible.
This Program will remain open until all funds have been used. It is anticipated that this will be around September 2025, but it could be sooner.