The U.S. Fire Administration wants to remind everyone that severe weather can happen at any time, in any part of the country. It’s important to be prepared for a severe weather event and to know the risks:
- Lightning can cause house fires. So, test your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.
- Portable generators stay outside. Only use the extension cords made for generator use.
- Check your gas lines and make sure there are no leaks.
- If an appliance gets wet, have it inspected by an electrician.
- Move any debris away from electric lines and transformers.
- Damaged and downed powerlines are not only a fire hazard, but an electrocution risk. Contact the electrical company or fire department if you see a downed or sparking line.
- Like downed lines, exposed wiring is a fire hazard and an electrocution risk. Have an electrician inspect any exposed electrical outlets or wiring.
Learn more tips on severe weather fire safety from the U.S. Fire Administration at www.usfa.fema.gov/prevention/outreach/severe_weather.html.
Pictured: Portable generator located outside of the house.