I Saw a Tarball, What Should I Do?

Following the oil spill and the subsequent response, the City has received many questions about how to report tarballs on our beaches.  The protocol for reporting sightings of oil or tar releases in the ocean or on City beaches are as follows:

1. Federal Notification: Call the National Response Center (NRC) 24 hour hotline at (800)-424-8802.

2. State Notification: Call the California Office of Emergency Services (OES), California State Warning Center at (800) 852-7550 or (916) 845-8911.

3. State Beach Seep Report – A beach seep report should be filled-out (https://www.countyofsb.org/ceo/oem.sbc) and submitted to the California State Lands Commission via email to Jack.Smith@slc.ca.gov. The form can also be downloaded from https://www.countyofsb.org/ceo/oem.sbc.

4. Local Notification: Email the City at awells@cityofgoleta.org, vadomaitis@cityofgoleta.org, and earndt@sbcoem.org.