The holiday season has finally arrived! While this time of year brings together friends and family, it also brings additional hazards and distractions on our roadways. Whether you are setting out on a road trip to visit family, or just braving the roads for some last minute shopping, the Goleta Police Department encourages everyone to consider the following safety tips:
- When the roads are wet, slow down and maintain a greater distance from the car in front of you. Rain can mix with oil on the road to make for a very slippery surface.
- This is also a good time to inspect your vehicle. Take a walk around your car and make sure all your lights and windshield wipers are working. You should also check that your tires are properly inflated and have sufficient tread.
- Unfortunately, this time of year also brings out opportunistic thieves. When your vehicle is unattended make sure it is locked and any valuables or gifts are kept out of sight.
- With the hustle and bustle of the season, it can be all too easy to not get enough rest. Fatigue can negatively impact your motor skills, slowing down your reaction time while driving. In fact, studies have shown that the dangers of driving while drowsy are comparable to driving while intoxicated. Make every effort to get enough sleep and avoid driving if you feel fatigued.
- Never drink and drive! Tis the season for family gatherings and holiday parties. If you think you may be drinking at these gatherings, plan ahead and designate a sober driver or call a taxi.
- Finally, enjoy the season! The holidays are a wonderful time to spend with friends, coworkers and family. A few extra precautions can keep your holidays merry and your new year happy!