The recent Sherpa (aka Scherpa) Fire reminds us of the dangerous conditions we face this summer due to the hot, dry weather. The City of Goleta wants its residents to be wildfire ready year-round. Here are some resources on how you can prepare yourself, and your family, for the next wildfire.
- Stay connected with the city by signing up for emergency alerts and notifications
- Remember the six “P’s” in case immediate evacuation is required:
- People and pets
- Papers, phone numbers & important documents
- Prescriptions, vitamins and eyeglasses
- Pictures and irreplaceable memorabilia
- Personal computer hard drive and disks
- “Plastic” (credit cards, ATM cards) and cash
- Prepare Your Home
Not only is it important to prepare yourself and your home in the event of a fire, but it is important to exercise caution at all times so as not to accidentally start a wildfire. Keep in mind that bonfires are illegal on all beaches and bluffs in Goleta, do not use weed whackers when it is hot and dry and be extra cautious when disposing of cigarettes. Thank you for doing your part to keep Goleta safe.