The Environmental Services Division would like to share some of the programs available to help you dispose of Household Hazardous Waste the right way, so we can protect our environment. The City of Goleta, MarBorg & the County of Santa Barbara have some easily accessible options to help you dispose of this type of material properly.
- Batteries: MarBorg has a residential curbside battery collection. Place common household batteries (9v or less) in a clear zip top bag ON TOP of your recycling cart or in your apartment’s orange battery bucket.
- Sharps: If you need a sharps container, you can request one from MarBorg for a FREE safe mail back disposal container. Call MarBorg to learn more: 805-963-1852.
- Medicine: If you need to dispose of medicines, you can take them to any of your local CVS pharmacies.
- Other Household Hazardous Waste: Below are some common items and where you can take them. Store all items in secure containers with tight fitting lids, place upright in a box for transport and do not mix any liquids together. Note: you can only bring 15 gallons (liquids) or 125 pounds total of material. There are two convenient options:
MarBorg Recycling Center (20 David Love Place)
Monday through Saturday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Electronic Waste (computers, monitors, radios, etc.; anything with a plug)
- Fluorescent light Bulbs
- Cell Phones
- Oil (petroleum based: motor oil, hydraulic oil, etc.)
- Paint (Oil and water based)
UCSB-Community Hazardous Waste Collection Center (University of California, Environmental Health and Safety Building 565, Mesa Rd, Santa Barbara, CA 93106)
Saturdays 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. and Sundays 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Limit: 15 gallons or 125 pounds per household/month
- Paints & Stains
- Thinners & Solvents
- Automotive Fluids & Filters
- Pesticides & Fertilizers
- Fluorescent Lighting
- Smoke alarms/Carbon monoxide detectors
If you have any questions regarding disposal of hazardous waste, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for protecting our environment by disposing of hazardous waste the right way!