On May 12, 2015, the Goleta Water District Board of Directors declared a Stage III Water Shortage, with mandatory water use restrictions and changes to watering times. After four years of severe drought and an historic lack of rainfall, water conservation is critical to ensure adequate supplies for drinking, health and public safety. As we enter another summer of drought, the District is targeting a 35% district-wide reduction in water usage.
NEW Stage III water use restrictions are now in effect:
- No irrigation is allowed for 48 hours after it rains.
- Manual watering (including sprinklers attached to a hose) is allowed before 8 a.m. or after 8 p.m., two days per week.
The following schedule applies to fixed irrigation (i.e. installed sprinkler systems):
- Residential properties may water Wednesdays and Saturdays, before 6 a.m. or after 8 p.m.
- Commercial and institutional properties may water Tuesdays and Fridays, before 6 a.m. or after 8 p.m.
- Public parks, athletic fields, and golf courses may water no more than two days per week, before 6 a.m. or after 8 p.m.
- Agricultural customers using overhead spray irrigation outdoors may water before 10 a.m. or after 4 p.m.
- Hoses must be equipped with a shut-off nozzle. No watering sidewalks, pavement, or other hard surfaces.
Click here for the Stage III Water Shortage Emergency press release.
Exceptions to the water use restrictions may be granted under certain circumstances.
Enforcement and Penalties
Water use restrictions are in place at all times and actively enforced until such time that the District Board of Directors lifts the Stage III Water Shortage Declaration. District enforcement always begins with education regarding the restrictions, and information about tools and resources available to assist customers in conserving water and complying with rules.
• First Violation: Written warning
• Second Violation: Notice of Violation
• Third Violation: $100 fine
• Fourth Violation: $250 fine
• Subsequent Violations: $500 fine and possible installation of a meter flow restrictor or service termination
To report a possible leak, water runoff, or other water waste, please call (805) 964-6761 and press 2 to leave a message for District staff who will follow-up on the report, or send an email to email@example.com. Please include specifics such as the location or address, the nature of the problem, and the time and date the problem was observed. Photos of the incidents are helpful and may be emailed to the above email address.
While a Stage III declaration establishes mandatory water use restrictions and prohibitions, the District is offering ways to help the community learn more about how they can conserve. Click here for water conservation tips, resources and information.
The District has a number of conservation incentive and rebate programs, including rebates for water wise landscape installation, and other water efficient activities. Customers are encouraged to consult the District for additional information on the programs. Please call (805) 964-6761 for more information.
Information provided by Goleta Water District.