October was Domestic Violence Awareness month. In an effort to raise awareness about the issue, educate the public, and inspire action, the City issued a Proclamation officially designating the month of October 2017 as Domestic Violence Awareness Month at the October 17, 2017, City Council meeting. There are a number of resources in Santa Barbara County to help victims and survivors of intimate partner violence; one is Domestic Violence Solutions (DVS). In 2015/16, DVS:
- Answered more than 6,250 calls.
- Responded in over 468 law enforcement and emergency room situations.
- Assisted 949 victims in acquiring legal assistance.
- Provided 12,212 safe nights to victims of domestic violence.
- Provided over 1,200 youth and adults with knowledge necessary to get help or assist a friend in an abusive relationship seek help.
- Sheltered a wider range of clients, 62% of which were children.
The Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office has produced a video on sexual assault in Isla Vista, prevention and available resources. It can be viewed at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBlvzB0Gmkw&t=10s.