Council has selected the commissioners for the City’s first Public Engagement Commission. These seven members are charged with looking for opportunities and ways to increase public engagement in City government. More specifically, the Commission will make recommendations to the City Council on matters pertaining to:
- Whether the City should become a charter city;
- Whether councilmembers should be paid greater compensation, and, if so, how much;
- Whether regular City Council meeting should be scheduled after 5:00 p.m.;
- Whether the directly elected mayor’s term should be 4 years;
- How to increase resident participation in government;
- The district mapping process in determining district lines for future district elections; and
- Any other matters as directed by the City Council.
The new commissioners are: Sherry Bliss, James Kyriaco, Barbara Massey, Pedro Paz, Beth Schneider, Silvia Uribe and Rey Ybarra. The first meeting is October 26 at 5:30 p.m. in City Council Chambers (130 Cremona Drive). If you are interested in receiving the agenda and additional information, sign up here.